• Autumn. Halloween. Horror. Bear Family Records© presents a CD compilation all about creepy-crawlies: ‘Beware! Insects and Spiders’!
• • With 28 recordings from 1937 to 1966 around ‘the big creepy crawlies’ the horror comes alive!
• • Spanning genres, we hear famous artists such as Lionel Hampton, Chubby Checker and Brook Benton as well as lesser-known tunes, some on CD for the first time.
• • Some instrumentals, a song by Belgian singer Freddy Sunders and an early recording featuring Jimi Hendrix are among the many highlights.
• • Stylistically, the spectrum ranges from country, surf rock, exotica and pop to rhythm ‘n’ blues, jazz and swing and a main focus on rock ‘n’ roll.
• • The 16-page color booklet includes song annotations by Marc Mittelacher and many often rare photos and memorabilia!
Insects and spiders – a Halloween theme
Imagine ladybugs, butterflies or honeybees and Halloween doesn’t exactly come to mind. But have
you ever looked at a praying mantis in close-up? At the latest then you will learn to be creeped out.
Such images were used as models for classic horror movies, oversized insects and spiders became
song themes, the fear of spiders, one of the primeval fears of mankind, comes to life here.
This handpicked, richly varied compilation presents a wide spectrum of genres of past times, classics, but also many rarities. About a third of the recordings are pure instrumentals, including – as a special highlight – an early recording by Curtis Knight & The Squires, whose lead guitarist was a young Jimi Hendrix! Guitar virtuoso Buddy Merrill opens the CD album, and from jazzman Lionel Hampton with his orchestra comes the oldest instrumental recording (1937). Extremely annoying flies are sung about by Hank Williams and Chubby Checker, with Martin Denny’s Tsetse Fly it turns exotic. The classic and cult film ‘Tarantula’ has also left its ‘footprint’ in the music world and is represented here by no less than four performers. Also a highlight: the piano version of the instrumental classic Bumble Boogie, played at breathtaking speed by the British Winifred Atwell!
The CD comes with a 16-page color booklet containing producer Marc Mittelacher’s notes on each song as well as a wealth of illustrations!
Buddy Merrill: The Green Hornet Curtis Knight and The Squires feat. Jimi Hendrix: Hornet’s Nest La Vern Baker: Bumble Bee Lionel Hampton and His Orchestra: Buzzin’ Around With The Bee Winifred Atwell and Her Piano: Bumble Boogie Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys: Fly Trouble Big Buddy Lucus (Buddy Lucas): Get Away, Fly Chubby Checker: The Fly Martin Denny: Tsetse Fly Bobby Christian with The Allen Sisters: The Spider And The Fly John Zacherley: The Spider And The Fly The Nobles: Black Widow Jack Hammer and The Pacers: Black Widow Spider Woman Bob Regan: Tarantula
Bruce Gist and The Invaders: Tarantula The Sabres: Spider Walk The Tarantulas: Tarantula The Storms (feat. Jody Reynolds): Tarantula Abie ‘Available’ Baker: The Web The Royal Teens: Little Cricket Freddy Sunder with The Ronnex Orchestra: Cucaracha Boogie Link Davis: Grasshopper Rock Gene Maltais: The Bug Brook Benton: The Boll Weevil Song Moon Mullican: The Wedding Of The Bugs Chet ‘Poison’ Ivey: Lady Bug The Swing Kings: The Bug Link Davis: Beatle Bug
RELEASE DATE: 17/11/2023